Monday, February 27, 2012

the inevitable break-up


Hello my name is Daniella and I am a coffee addict. (caffeine addict really) Those who know me are aware that my love for coffee runs pretty deep. Most mornings the prospect of its yummy goodness is what gets me out of bed. The occasional cup in the middle of the afternoon is what gets me through that day without taking a 4 hour nap. The coke zero with lunch or dinner is what makes the meal complete. Coffee/caffeine and I go way back and have been through some hard times together, some great times too.

So why am I going on and on about my love for coffee? Due to medical stuff relating to the cancer and medications, I must break up with my long time lover. We must go our separate ways and start over. I’ve been here before. In fact, I have been in this exact same situation before, where I needed to completely give up caffeine for health/medical reasons, but that doesn’t make it suck any less.

By now some of you may be laughing at me or asking what the big deal is. It’s just coffee after all. And you are right; it isn’t really a big deal. My health >>>>>>>>> coffee any day. There is no doubt in my mind that I can live without caffeine. In fact, I know that in the long run it will probably make things a lot better. I won’t be dependent on something for energy or have to deal with the horrible side effects of not drinking it.

But the next few weeks are going to suck and is exactly why I am dreading this break up. Just like any addiction, giving something up comes with withdrawal symptoms. And no I am not comparing this to giving up cocaine, alcohol or other drugs. I have no idea how that works and I can only imagine that it’s 1000000 times worse. But I know there is going to be an element of tiredness and most likely a lot of headaches involved.

To add insult to injury, I am not allowed to take any medication, like Tylenol or aspirin etc, so me and the side effects are on our own. No way to curb the headache except for natural things (Anyone have any suggestion?) and maybe a few extra naps will be in my future.

All joking aside, I don’t consider this a big deal. I don’t think it’s the end of the world at all and know that in the grand scheme of things it’s not so bad. This post isn’t really a complaint or a way of saying “poor me”. In fact, I am truly grateful that something as simple as giving up caffeine can help me on the cancer medication front. That being said, I am asking everyone to cut me a little slack for the next few weeks. If I am not as cheery and upbeat as I normally am or complain a little bit about feeling crappy, please let it slide some. Feel free to remind me of the benefits of what I am doing as well.

For now I say so long to coffee and our wonderful relationship. Maybe one day we will be able to meet again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment