Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My new mantra

“just because I can, doesn’t mean I should”

It has been decided today that this phrase should be tattooed on my hand, so that I can see it every day. Thanks to a friend, I have decided to possibly make it into a bracelet. It seems a little more practical and far less painful. It is also less expensive and I am cheap.

Either way, it’s something that needs to be drilled into my head. Does anyone have a drill that I can borrow?

All kidding aside, it’s true. I tend to do a lot of things just because I can, without taking into consideration if they are what I should be doing or even better, what I WANT to be doing.  I stuck with engineering for as long as I did because I could do it. And I could have been a decent engineer and made a pretty good living out of it. Just as well, I could have dropped out of school and joined the circus. After all I love animals and could become the traveling type. NOT!

This post isn’t meant to beat myself up about past decisions that I have made or to ruminate about what I could have done differently. Coulda Shoulda Woulda. I have spent so much time playing that game that it isn’t even fun anymore, and I love games.

Despite my doubts and insecurities, I have a lot of faith in myself. Even more so in my abilities. In all honesty, there isn’t much that I believe that I can’t do. With determination, hard work and persistence I believe that anything is possible. When there’s a will, there’s a way. And I have enough will to go around.

This is a part of my personality that I love. This is how I have gotten to where I am. This is why I have options and good ones at that. There is no doubt about that there. Yet, this has also been known to get me into trouble. In the past it’s led me astray. It’s led me to do things that I didn’t want to do just because I could do them. It’s kept me stuck in places that I didn’t want to be and has even caused me to be confused about my ability to make decisions.

Right now I am facing some big decisions about my future. I am deciding which course of action that I want to take in a long term sense. I am about to be 25 and am making the grown up decisions that we all wish to avoid as long as possible. I have some really good cards on the table and can also see some other options in the deck. I am torn, but I am not ready to fold yet.

This phrase  is exactly what I need to hear and what I need to remind myself during this time. (and possibly the rest of my life) Hell, maybe I will even make it my new mantra. Which makes me wonder what my old mantra was, but that isn’t important.

This post is super vague and that was my intention. Although I value people’s opinions and love advice, I want to figure out some things without taking that into account. I also have a tendency to care way too much about what other people think and base decisions on what others want me to do, but that is another blog post entirety.Thanks however for taking the time to read this, even though you are being left in the dark. 

For now this is what you get. I will continue to remind myself of this phrase. After all, as women we could always walk into the mens bathroom, but that doesn’t mean we should and may lead to some unhappy consequences if we do. Although I hear that they are much cleaner, so maybe its worth considering.  

No comments:

Post a Comment