Sunday, December 9, 2012

Words

Today I sat down with a paint brush and a blank canvas and wrote out every single negative label I have internalized throughout the years. All of the things that other people have said or called me and more importantly all of the things I have called myself. It was incredibly painful yet freeing. When I was younger I remember hearing the phrase "Sticks and stones make break my bones but words will never hurt me." While I have never been in a physical fight before (water polo doesn't count), I believe that words are a lot more powerful than physical actions. Bones heal, scars fade but we never forget the things people say to us, even more so the things that we tell ourselves. As someone who is very sensitive and internalizes things very easily, each of the words on the canvas above have a painful memory and story attached. We can't control the things that people say about us, but we can try our hardest to remember that usually what people say is a reflection of where they are at and probably doesn't have much to do with us. Instead of adding fuel to the fire, we can break the cycle of name calling in our own heads. One of the most helpful parts of my recovery has been recognizing my negative beliefs about myself and the stories behind them. Our bodies, thoughts, feelings, personalities are not the problem, but the stories that we tell ourselves about them are. You have the power to re-write your own story. It's never too late. Challenge those beliefs. Approach them with compassion. Replace them with fierce kindness. And remember, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"

No comments:

Post a Comment